I believe the key roles of a coach are to :
- Help athletes set challenging but realistic goals.
- Provide smart training plans that enable performance improvement while balancing life's priorities and managing injury risk.
- Flexibly adjust those plans in response to training results and real life constraints.
- Educate athletes in all facets of the sport such that they can make smart decisions when training and racing.
- Promote the enjoyment of training and racing through personal example.
Consistency in training and recovery are keys to achieving goals in endurance sport.
Two way, open communication and trust between athlete and coach are critical to progress.